Is your social security card lost and now you don’t know what to do? It’s easy to become stressed out and confused, but stay calm. Here is what you should do if you cannot find your social security card or if you suspect it was stolen.

Get Your Replacement Card

The very first thing you want to do is request a form SS-5. You can get this form from the Social Security Administration by calling them or by going to their website. If you visit their website, you will be able to download the form. Make sure you fill it out in its entirety because if you don’t, this may delay the process and you’ll have to wait even longer to get your replacement card.

Contact Credit Reporting Agency

Another thing you’ll want to do is contact a credit-reporting agency. There are three you can choose from, but you really only have to contact one. The three agencies are TransUnion, Equifax and Experian, and when you get someone on the phone, ask them to put a fraud alert on your account. Make sure you request a copy of your credit report and scan over it to see if there is anything to be concerned about.

Things To Remember

If you do notice something on your credit report that shouldn’t be there, then dispute it. Also, if you think someone has used your social security number to apply for credit, then contact the Federal Trade Commission. You can lodge a complaint with them and they may take action. Just remember, you might have to prove it.

Just remember, when you receive your replacement social security card, put it in a safe place. You do not want to lose your replacement card and you don’t want it to be stolen. Now you know what to do if your social security card is lost. Get to know more at