When exactly is a change name on social security card documents needed. More importantly, how do you go about getting that information changed? Read on below to learn about a few different times that you will need to change the name on your card, and exactly what you need to do in order to get it done as painlessly as possible.

When You Get Married

For most couples marriage will result in one of the partners changing their last name to match the other. When this occurs, whoever has changed their last name will need to get a new Social Security card reflecting the change.

If you’re the one who needs a new card, it’s actually pretty easy to get it done. All you need to do is obtain a notarized copy of your marriage license from your county courthouse and take it to your local social security office along with a photo id.

Another option is to mail in the information with a form that you can obtain either online or via email, if you contact your local office by phone. Just remember that sometimes things get lost in the mail. So most people choose to deliver their documents in person.

When You Get Divorced

If you are going through a divorce and have decided that you want to change your name back to your original maiden name as it was before your marriage, and you are approved to do so by the court, then you will need to follow the same steps as if you were getting married.

Take a notarized copy of your divorce decree along with your id to your local social security office in order to have your name change completed.

Final Thoughts

Above are just a couple of times during your life that you may need to change your name on your social security card. A safe rule of thumb is if you’ve legally changed your name for any reason, then you’re going to need a new social security card reflecting that change.

Need detailed information on social security card name change? Visit https://www.application-filing-service.com/socialsecuritycard/change-name-on-social-security-card and explore useful resources now!